Friday, April 15, 2005

One of the Best Lectures I've ever attended

Today, I attended a lecture given by Dr.William Phillips, a Nobel Laureate from NIST, Colarado. He was giving a talk on "Time, Einstein and the coolest stuff in the universe". I was motivated to go to the talk by the topic and the fact that he got a Nobel Prize. But, after attending the lecture I felt it as the one of the best lectures, I've ever attended. I was extremely motivated by this lecture and he would be one of my role models.

I'm interested in changing the world (giving enough room for others to laugh at this phrase), and was down in my sprits, for the last few weeks. I've had great confusions that confound my ambitions. I want to have more inspiration, that would pep up my enthusiasm and imagination. For eg., today's lecture change my mood entirely. Thus, I want to study in an institution that would give me more of such inspiration. This, reaffirms my motivation to study in a big institution. MIT is my dream and most my heroes (even the today's speaker) are associated with that. I don't know whether I'm qualified enough or not, but I would always dream of getting there. It's more than my dream. It's my temple.

Coming back to the lecture, he gave in an extremely great way that I forgot to see my watch (incidentally the lecture was about time). He explained about his techniques (Laser cooling and Bose-Einstein condensation) for cooling the atoms to almost 1nK, and this would reduce their velocities to less than 1cm/s. This would greatly increase the accuracy of atomic clocks (which work by throwing a beam of ceasium atoms and adjusing a normal clock, by the time of their movement). Thus, by slowing the atoms, we could get accurate measurement of time to within 1 second deviation in 4o million years. This could have great effects for GPS, Gravito meters and whole bunch of scientific measurement systems. He performed lots of experiment, like throwing liquid hydrogen and cooling balloons, balls, etc. which became very brittle and the coolest thing was when a bottle exploded and threw a durstbin to the roof, due to extreme pressure (he poured liquid nitrogen onto the bottle and tightly closed the lid. As the temperature got up, the atoms were moving more faster and it threw the bottle, with the dustbin to a height of 20 feet).

Some of the points to be taken from his lecture are:

1. Make it simple
2. Give good demonstration
3. Perfectly plan the time
4. Be fluent and humourous

If every scientist and every presenter presents their research works like this, the world would be a much more better place to live in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home